Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lost keys and large bushes

So one would think that I, who have never lost a set of keys for more than 15-20 minutes at any  time in my life, would manage to not lose her keys in the first 10 days of living in a new apartment. So in one of the more embarrassing moments of my life I went to the gym at my complex. But I get to the gym only to realize that the lobby is closed until 9am and I didn't bring my gym key with me. I go back to my apt to get the key, and when I get to the door I untie the laces on my shoe to get my key out (I had it tied up in my laces). And then, in something akin to what I have seen in cartoons my key flies out of my hand, over the rail of my balcony, and lands in some very tall, overgrown grass that is beside my stairs. I am completely shocked. I have no idea how this could have possibly happened, because I have NO idea how the key left my hand. I then spend the next 5 minutes walking the perimeter of said grass trying to peer into it without having to actually walk into the grass due to my morbid fear of slithering SNAKES...finally I sucked it up and stepped into the grass to search for said key. Now bear in mind that I am looking for your typical housekey; just a solo key less than 2 inches. Needless to say I didn't find it (for all I know a raven...those are the birds that like shiny objects right?...found it and took it to their nest). So I have to walk back to the leasing office (and it's still not 9am!)! Thankfully a groundskeeper saw me standing outside and asked if I was trying to get into the gym. I then have to tell her my embarrassing story of how I lost the infamous key and I'm pretty sure that by the time I was done with my story this woman was barely holding back laughter. She lets me into the office after telling her boss what happened and I get a new key. Probably the most bizarre part of this incident is that the office does not ask me to identify myself in any way...all they ask me is for my apt number. I guess they assume that no one would actually volunteer that they managed to throw their key over the side of their balcony unless they really had done it. 

So summary of my moving adventures: I have a new, big girl apartment, I start a new job, I buy a manual car that I must learn to drive, I have to get used to silence and weird noises, AND I lose my house key. Let's hope that means I'm now disaster free...at least once I start actually working on my unit otherwise who knows what I could lose there =P

No comments:

Post a Comment